Monday, October 13, 2008

More breast cancer stuff

For starters, as you've sure seen/heard chicken pox has taken over my October and grand plans to make it a Breast Cancer awareness Month.

Saturday there was a walk for the cure at Sugar House park. Jetblue helped sponsor it and I hear it was a good sucess despite the weather. I was not able to attend. I was stuck with my spotted monsters while JD was at Easton's flag football game.

It has now been 6 months since my "scare," and the saga continues. About 3 weeks ago I got the letter reminding me that I needed to go in for my 6 month follow-up mamogram on the right breast. I called and made an appointment. My breast care corrdinator (you get one of those when you have to go through all of this crap) decided to schedule me for both the left and the right breast since there was concerns with both. I went to the appointment, JD held my hand up until the door of the changing rooms. Then, I was on my own. I got in my gown and sat down in their beautiful waiting room. Another lady sat down across from me. She asked how old I was. Since every lady in the room had me by at least 20 years, I didn't think it was rude. We started up a conversation and she was shoked by my age. She inquired why I was there. I was surprised by the sudden tears that came when I tried to tell her. I hadn't realized I was that nervous.

I went in for the mamogram and the technician told me to take my left arm out. I said are we doing both then, because I was supposed to have the right done? She said, no I looked at your reports and since the right was benign we only need to do the left. I know better, but I let her just do the left. Thankfully things were fine and the Dr scheduled me for another one in 6 months.

Then last week I got another letter that said "we have't seen you for you follow-up on your right breast. This is important. Please call us." Fantastic. I called my corrdinator and she was bugged. She actually talked to the original doctor and he wants a mamo on the right side. I knew I shouldn't have left without the right side. If there's one thing I know, you are your best advocate. If you don't stick up for you, no one else will.

So, here I go today for the second mamogram in 2 weeks. Yeah, me. I'll keep you posted.