Thursday, October 9, 2008

Chicken Pox it is!

Well, it's confirmed. Avery, Halle, and Carson all have the Pox. I took them to the doctor's today. They weren't real happy that I brought them in, by the way. But, I had called ahead and the nurse told me as long as they didn't have a fever that it was fine. So here's a little info that I didn't realize, and I'm sure moms of our generation didn't know:

The chicken pox vacination is only about 80% effective if given before 15 months old.
That goes up to about 95% if they are over 15 months old.
They should get a booster at 3-4 years old.
If they do contract the disease after having the vaccine, it is a mild case.

Now what does "mild" mean? I couldn't find the answer on any web site, so I'll tell you about my 3 spotted monsters (as I like to call them now).

Avery and Carson have about 10 spots each. Halle on the other hand has 50 just on her tummy and back (yes we counted. It's very boring after 48 hours of just us). None of the spots are itchy. Yes, I said that right. They don't itch. Weird, I know. I remember wanting to take a knife and cut each little sore out of my skin when I had it. They have no fever, no aches, vertually no pain. Halle has it worse than the other two, but the worst thing is for her is a lose of appetite. Today she complained of a tummy ache and didn't eat much. Other than that it's buisness as normal. Except the fact that we're all stuck with each other for the next 7 days. No school, shopping, dance, football games.....nothing, nothing but each others smiling faces.

We'll survive, our mothers did right? We all had it and live to tell the tale. So, sorry to all those we may or may not have infected. Not much to do now but wait.

The incubation period is 12-14 days. They're contagious 1-3 days before showing spots, until they spots have scabbed over or go away. It last anywhere from 5-12 days.

PS
My doctor has seen an increase of kids contracting the pox even after they have had the vaccine this year. Lucky us.

3 comments:

Arlene said...

Darn it! We are so bummed that you are down for the week - what a drag! Do you have the book Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox? It is cute, I should run it over.

Tolman Family said...

I'm sorry. Let me know what I can do to help. Another Sonic eh?

Becky Gray said...

Amy...I'm so sorry. Staying home never seems so hard until you CAN"T LEAVE!!! Get caught up on all the movie you haven't had time to watch...