Thursday, May 6, 2010

Getting a mamogram is fun to do, to do, to do, to do!


My own mother passed away 12 years and 4 days ago from breast cancer. Exactly 1 week before Mother's day. Although it has left my spirits low for every mother's day since, now that I'm a mother, I use this sadness as a reminder to get my own tests done so that I may never leave my children too early. My sister and I go every year in my mother's memory to get our mamograms done together. Although we are both a ways from 40 we are in a high risk group and figure a little discomfort is ok, because early detection is the best cure for cancer.

I myself started going a few years back and have had a few scares. The doctors don't mess around anymore. In 3 years, I've had close to 10 mamograms, 3 ultra sounds, 2 MRI's and 1 biopsy. They leave nothing to chance.

In honor of Mother's day, remind all your mother's, sister's, daughter's, and friend's to schedule their yearly momograms. Picking a week like mother's day will remind you to do it every year.

You can join our Mamo party if you want! Leave a comment with your email address and I'll give you the date and time. Or, start your own. It's a lot less scary when your not alone.

No comments: