Friday, January 30, 2009

Progress Report.....Just smile and wave boys

The beginning of January made me reflect on the past year. I looked at what we had done as a family that was working and what was not. The list was long, but the thing that I realized is that my young family, isn't as young as it used to be. My children need more than just the fun mom who plays games, reads stories and does crafts. Those things were on my good list and so, I will continue doing them, but I need to step up as a mom and start teaching my kids other things as well.

My first goals were to:
1- eat better
2- save money
3- be more organized
4- keep kitchen clean (baby steps for an overall clean home)
5- give my kids more responsibility

Here was my solution

It's the Rex Family meal plan. This is how it works. I put together a jar full of all the meals that I cook, from a Roast w/potatoes to grill cheese sandwiches. The meal includes main course, fruit/vegitable, side dish. Then on Tuesday night we all pick one meal out of the jar. Leaving one day for eating out during the week. On Wed morning I take my coupons for only the items I need to make these 6 meals, plus any have to have bargains and other estentials. I pick what meal we'll eat on each day and cordinate the easiest meals for the days when we're the busiest. Then whom ever picked the meal is responsible to help mom cook it, set the table, and clean up.I have found such a change in my life. Not to mention the kids. I don't find myself staring into a cupboard full of stuff and having no idea what to make. The kids get excited when it's their day and they want to learn how to cook. Dinner is cooked and cleaned up within 1 hour!

So, check, check, check, check, and check! 5 down 873 to go!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

That's a great idea! We need to be better at planning meals before we shop too. I swear we have cupboards full of stuff I may never use (most of it will go a food drive if it isn't expired!). It will be nice when Mason will actually eat food that we cook! I'm sure your kids will love your new plan!

Becky Gray said...

You are a great mom!! I hope your kids will always love to cook and help around the house. :) My girls only want to help once in a while! Good job Amy

Tolman Family said...

What a great idea! Your kids are learning from one of the best cooks I know ...=)

Sabrina Rex said...

That is great!! I to have been trying to think of ways to make my kids help more. Thanks for the great Idea. I can't believe how Avery is growing up. Wow you really have her to work and she looks so happy to be helping. what a tricky mom you are. LOL Sabrina

Kayti said...

Smart!!