Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First day of school...2 down 2 to go!

Yes, these are MY two oldest children. They are not imposters!

So, I sent my two big kids off to school. As of last week I would have paid some one for school to start earlier. We were all ready for them to be out of the house. So I was oddly surprised at myself the night before school started. Avery insisted on making her first lunch for school. I had planned to make her lunch with a cute little note and extra special food. But true to form, she made it herself, packed it up, stuck it in her bag and refused to let me touch it. The next morning she was up before the sun, dressed, hair done, shoes on, backpack on, ready to head out the door 45 minutes early. She didn't require or desire ANY help from me. I dropped her off at her classroom, where she ran in without a second glance back, with no special note in her lunch and no hug or kiss.

I started to cry.

Then Easton. Sunday night he saw every hour on the clock, which meant I saw every hour on the clock. At 5:45 I finally drugged him up and we slept until 7:30. I parked the car at school with the intent on walking him to his class and taking a picture. He was out of the car and gone before I had even closed my door. I ran and caught up to take one picture and he was gone.

I started to cry.

I found a little boy standing outside the school crying because his mom had dropped him off and left. He was lost, confused and very sad. I found him his classroom and told the teacher what happened. And left the school for the third time. And agian.....

I started to cry.

Am I the only mother who goes on this emotional rollercoaster when their children go off to school? I was on the edge of tears all day long. I was able to get so many things done with only 2 little ones at home, but we all missed the chaos of our summer routine. I'm sure in a month I will look back on this and laugh that I missed chaos and didn't wallow in my freedom, but for today it's bitter sweet.

4 comments:

Becky Gray said...

CUTE!!!!

Dale and Tabitha said...

That is cute. I'm sure it's because you did to many fun things with them this summer. Super Mom Award goes to you. I wish I could say the same. Did you get their lists done?

Vierig Family said...

I'm with you on the tears!!! Atleast you got to drop them off, I was still layed up in bed and Matt had to take Madison on her first 2 days of school. So sad for me.

Reese said...

Nope you aren't the only one who was sad. We had a great time with JD and Easton this weekend....(when I wasn't busy biting Trav's head off, that is)
Hope they make it home sometime in the next week!